LEMON (Citrus limon) has many, many more uses than just 15, but for the sake of the blog length I’m mentioning some important ones here! This essential oil has antiseptic-like properties and contains compounds that have been studied for their effects on immune function. It may serve as an insect repellent and maybe beneficial for the skin. CAUTION: Citrus oils should NOT be applied to skin that will be exposed to direct sunlight or ultraviolet light within 72 hours. As always, no guarantees of results unless it’s a ‘therapeutic grade essential oil’ — and as everyone here knows I only swear by Young Living Essential oils form Utah, USA :)! The picture below is that of an all season lemon tree at my daughter’s house in California…
2. Use 1- 2 drops of Lemon oil to remove gum, oil, grease spots or crayon.
3. For home made lemonade, in a blender mix 2 drops of Lemon oil, 2 tablespoons of honey and two cups of pure water. Adjust the amount of each ingredient to suit your own taste.
4. Rub a drop of Lemon oil on a corn, callous or bunion mornings and evenings, and on a wart to make it disappear. Lemon oil is also helpful to use on athlete’s foot.
5. To clean and increase the shelf life of fresh fruit, fill a bowl with cool water and 2-3 drops of Lemon oil. Drop your cleaned fruit into the water and stir. Be sure all surfaces of the fruit contact the lemon water.
6. Add 2-3 drops of Lemon oil to water and spray counter tops, and to a butcher’s block and other cutting surfaces to sterilize them.
7. Soak your dishcloth overnight in a bowl of water and a drop of Lemon oil to disinfect and kill germs.
8. Add a drop of Lemon oil to your dish washer before the wash cycle.
9. Rub a drop of Lemon oil on your hands after using a public bathroom.
10. Use a paper towel soaked with several drops of Lemon oil to sanitize bathroom fixtures.
11. Place a drop of Lemon oil on cold sores, herpes or other mouth ulcers to lessen pain and aid in healing.
12. Put a drop of Lemon oil on bleeding gums caused by gingivitis or tooth extraction.
13. Put a drop of Lemon oil on oily skin or acne to balance sebaceous glands (oil glands).
14. Rub several drops of Lemon oil on cellulite to improve circulation and help eliminate waste from the cells.
15. Rub several drops of Lemon oil on varicose veins to improve circulation and relieve pressure on the veins.