As I started to gather information about champagne for this blog, I started getting pretty confused. Wikipedia and some other sources almost categorically suggested that champagne has been made special only because of media hype and publicity by vested interests for profit, and that its prices are overblown. Loving champagne as I do, I was disappointed to read all this ;)!
As I kept looking I found this wonderful website whose author has described the whole process of how other sparkling wines are different from champagne. Instead of re-quoting from there I’m sharing the link here so not only can you read all the details but also discover a very interesting wine related website:
For my part, I’m going to post some of my favorite ‘Champagne Quotes’ for your entertainment :)!
* “Come quickly, I am tasting the stars!” ~Dom Perignon
* “Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” ~Winston Churchill
* “In victory, you deserve Champagne, in defeat, you need it.” ~Napoleon Bonaparte
* “I only drink Champagne when I’m happy, and when I’m sad. Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone. When I have company, I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I am not hungry, and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it – unless I’m thirsty.” ~Lily Bollinger
* “Three be the things I shall never attain: envy, content, and sufficient Champagne.” ~Dorothy Parker
* My only regret in life is that I didn’t drink enough Champagne.” ~John Maynard Keynes
* “Why do I drink Champagne for breakfast? Doesn’t everyone?” ~Noel Coward
* “There comes a time in every woman’s life when the only thing that helps is a glass of Champagne.” ~Bette Davis
* “Gentlemen, in the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe, we may as well drink a glass of Champagne.” ~Paul Claudel
* “In a perfect world, everyone would have a glass of Champagne every evening.” ~Willie Gluckstern
* “Champagne is the one thing that gives me zest when I feel tired.” ~Brigitte Bardot
* “Too much of anything is bad, but too much Champagne is just right.” ~Mark Twain
So, which quote did you like the best? Which one describes how YOU feel about Champagne? 🙂